In Greek: μελιτζάνες με φέτα, pronounced meh-leed-ZAH-nes meh FEH-tah
The classic combination of baked eggplant, tomato, and herbs is enhanced by the addition of feta cheese to create a delicious meatless appetizer, side dish, or meatless or main dish.
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 pounds of eggplants (long slender type)
- olive oil for frying
- 5 tablespoons of fresh chopped basil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound of ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 pound of feta cheese, crumbled
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Wash the eggplants and remove stems. Cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices. Fry lightly (until soft and gently browned) in 1/4 inch of oil.
Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C).
Layer the eggplant in the bottom of a baking dish. Combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste, in a bowl, and spoon the mixture over the eggplant. Top with feta cheese, and bake at 355°F (180°C) for 45 minutes.
Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.