Cookouts are almost a national pastime in Greece. Many major holidays are traditionally celebrated with picnics, and outdoor cooking and eating are the best ways to enjoy the beautiful weather.
- Greek olives and crusty country bread accompany both the appetizers and main meal.
- Appetizers are served while the meat is cooking and left on the table to accompany the meal.
- Stuffed Grape Leaves (Dolmathakia) - with a rice and meat mixture
- Tzatziki - yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip
- Small Cheese Pies (Tyropitakia)
- Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata) - traditional, without lettuce
- Grilled Burgers (Biftekia Skharas) - pork , beef, or combo burgers
- Greek Picnic Potato Salad with Eggs (Patatosalata) - with oil and vinegar dressing
- Cos (Romaine) Lettuce Salad (Maroulosalata) - with spring onions and dill
- Sliced Feta Cheese - with oregano and olive oil
- Easy Fruit Salad with OJ & Honey Dressing
- Walnut Spice Cake (Karythopita) - with a light sugar syrup
- Frothy Iced Coffee (Frappe)
- Greek Coffee
Picnic Note: Pack dressing for the Romaine Lettuce Salad separately and add just before serving.