- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- liver from the bird, finely chopped
- 2/3 cups of milk
- 1 pound of chestnuts in the shell
- 1/3 cup of pine nuts
- 1/4 cup of dark raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons of fine fresh bread crumbs
Prepare the chestnuts for stuffing (boil, shell) trying to keep them whole or in the largest pieces possible.
Sauté the onion in 3 tablespoons of butter until soft. Add the liver and brown. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil and add the chestnuts. Cook for 1 minute and add pine nuts, raisins, cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of butter, salt, pepper, parsley, and the bread crumbs. Stir to combine well.
Yield: about 5 cups.
Note: Calculate 1/2 to 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound of bird.