Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 6 - 8 servings
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4-5 green onions, diced (incl 3 inches of green)
- 2 lbs. (about 1 kilo) fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and chopped
- 1 small bunch (about a cup) chopped fresh dill (stems removed)
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, (about 425 grams)
- 3/4 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and green onions and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the fresh spinach and cook until just wilted. Add fresh dill, diced tomatoes and rice and stir. Dissolve the tomato paste in the broth (or water) and add to pot. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and lower heat to medium low.
Simmer over medium low heat until the rice is cooked through (about 30 - 40 minutes). Try not to stir the pot too much because the dish will become muddy.
Monitor liquid levels halfway through cooking and uncover the pot if the spinach puts off too much water. You can also add a bit more water if it appears too dry.
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.