In Greek: παντζάρια σαλάτα, pronounced pahnd-ZAH-reeyah sah-LAH-tah
This cold salad is easy to make, and delicious. The combination of beets and garlic is a Greek favorite.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 pounds of fresh red beets or 2 cans of sliced beets (discard liquid)
- 2 -3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- sea salt (optional)
- fresh ground pepper (optional)
If using fresh beets: Remove leaves, leaving about an inch of stem, and don't cut the taproot. Wash gently (don't break the skin), and place in a pot of cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until done (firm but cooked, about 40-50 minutes). Drain the beets, cool under running cold water, and remove skin with fingers. Slice.
Combine beets, garlic, oil, and vinegar in a bowl and toss. Add salt and pepper to taste, and refrigerate covered for several hours before serving.
- Try this salad with a dollop of thick yogurt on top or on the side. It's delicious!
- I prefer this salad well seasoned with salt and pepper but it tastes delicious even without.