In Greek: καρμπονάρα στο φούρνο, pronounced kar-boh-NAH-rah stoh FOOR-no
What we call "carbonara" in Greece isn't what you may have eaten in the past. This baked pasta dish is easy to make, bakes in 15-20 minutes, and makes a great family meal. I like to use farfalle pasta (bow-ties) but elbow macaroni works just as well.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 pound of farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
- 1/4 pound of smoked bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound of sliced cooked ham, diced
- 1/2 pound of gouda cheese, grated
- 1 cup of canned mushroom slices, drained, rinsed, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 3/4 cups of heavy (whipping) cream
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
Preheat oven to 480°F (250°C).
Boil pasta according to package directions, until slightly underdone. Rinse under cold water in a colander, drain, and transfer to an 11 X 14 (or equivalent) baking pan, and season with salt.
Add bacon, ham, green pepper, mushrooms and 1/2 the cheese. Toss to mix well. Add cream and water and toss again. Top with the remaining cheese. Reduce heat to 355°F (180°C) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve hot or warm (or at room temperature).
Yield: serves 4-6