In Greek: φραπέ, pronounced frah-PEH
A favorite summer drink, frappé is a cool refresher on a hot day for coffee lovers. It's easy to make using instant coffee (decaf or full octane), and while it can be whipped, the traditional version is shaken ... never stirred.
- In a shaker or jar (with a tight-fitting lid), add 2-3 tablespoons of cold water, 1 teaspoon of instant coffee, and sugar to taste (1 teaspoon of sugar for medium-sweet).
- Close tightly and shake for 10 seconds, until the mixture appears to be all foam.
- Pour the foam into a water glass, add 7-8 ounces of water, 3-4 ice cubes, milk to taste, and stir.
- Serve with a straw.
- The purpose of shaking or mixing is to create a large amount of thick foam.. the more the better.
- If you have a soda fountain-type drink mixer or a small electric drink mixer, put the ingredients in step 1 into a glass to start, create the foamy base, and then add the water, ice cubes, milk, and straw to serve.
- Alternatively, this can be made without adding the ice cubes if the water is cold and the weather is, too.
What You Need
- Shaker or jar with a tight-fitting lid or drink mixer
- 1 cup cold water
- Instant coffee
- Sugar (optional)
- Milk (optional)
- Ice cubes