In Greek: πατάτες με κολοκυθάκια, pronounced pah-TAH-tes meh koh-loh-kee-THAHK-yah
Depending on your preference, this simple recipe is great as a meatless one-pot main dish, or as a side dish. The thinner the slices, the prettier it looks.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
- 4 medium-small potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (14 oz. approximately)
- 1/4 cup of minced fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Combine tomatoes, dill, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl and stir to blend.
Lightly oil a 2-quart casserole dish. Place a layer of half the potatoes on the bottom, top with half the zucchini, half the peppers, half the onion, and half the tomato mixture. Repeat.
Cover with foil and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour 15 minutes. Sprinkle with feta and bake another 15-20 minutes uncovered, until the cheese softens nicely (feta cheese doesn't melt but it does soften). Remove from oven, cover, and let rest for 15 minutes.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 4-6 servings of Baked Zucchini and Potatoes with Feta Cheese