In Greek: αρνί με φασολάκια, pronounced ahr-NEE meh fah-soh-LAHK-yah
This is a favorite stovetop casserole with leg of lamb (bone in or boneless), stewed with tomatoes, potatoes, and green beans. This recipe can also be made using a pressure cooker.
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 4 pounds of leg of lamb, bone in (or 3 1/3 pounds of boneless leg or shoulder) cut in serving sized pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 7/8 cup of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 2 1/4 pounds of fresh or frozen string beans, ends trimmed
- 3 medium-large tomatoes, pulped in blender
- 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce
- 2 1/4 pounds of potatoes, peeled, cut in large chunks
- 1/2 rounded tablespoon of fresh chopped mint
- 1 rounded tablespoon of fresh chopped dill
- 1 rounded tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
In a casserole or stew pot, sauté the onion and meat in olive oil over medium heat until well browned. Add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, until meat is tender.
Add beans, potatoes, mint,dill, parsley, cinnamon, and remaining salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Note: Add more water during cooking if necessary.
Yield: Serves 6