This delightful version of baklava is lighter and airier than the traditional layers, and it's easy to make. Just follow along with the photos.
FOR THE PASTRY
- 1 pound box of thin phyllo sheets, defrosted, at room temperature
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of olive oil, melted butter, or melted olive oil margarine
- 3/4 cup of coarsely ground walnuts
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of sugar
- grated peel of 1/2 orange
- oil or butter for baking dish
Do not open the phyllo until you're ready to start making the pastry. When you do open it, keep unused portion covered with a piece of waxed paper and a cool damp towel.