In Greek: λαχανικά σχάρας, pronounced lah-HAH-nee-kah SKHAH-rahs
A simple matter of sliding pieces of your favorite vegetables onto skewers turns into a fabulous side dish for other grilled foods (or, add more vegetables and make it a complete meal).
- For 2 skewers per person:
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 zucchini (Italian squash)
- 1 yellow crookneck squash
- 1 medium red onion
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 4 wooden or metal skewers
Wash all vegetables and trim stems and ends.
Cut tomatoes into quarters.
Cut zucchini and squash into 3/4 inch rings.
Cut onion into quarters.
Thread vegetables onto skewers, alternating vegetables. Combine olive oil and garlic in a small bowl and brush vegetables. Sprinkle with seasonings and grill over medium coals until done to taste. Brush with remaining olive oil/garlic mixture during grilling.
- Other favorites for grilling include bell peppers and mushrooms.
- These skewers are pretty to look at, but because some of the vegetables cook more quickly than others, they can be made on individual skewers and later, combined at the table.