Feta cheese can range from soft to hard, and trying to crumble it for salads and toppings can result in mashing it instead. Here's the easiest way to crumble it.
- If you have a block of feta, cut a slice in the amount you want to crumble. Otherwise, just start with a slice.
- Run the feta under cold water for 10 seconds. This will clear away any brine and firm it up.
- For salads, use your hands or the tines of a fork to break it up into small pieces. They do not have to be tiny; small chunks work just fine.
- For toppings for pasta, meat dishes, and dakos, and to use in pitas that call for smaller pieces, poke the feta with the tines of a fork (do not mash) to make very small pieces.
- Use the coldest running water possible to firm up the cheese.
What You Need
- Feta Cheese