The New Year brings family and friends together around tables of traditional foods and customs.
Stuffed turkey is a traditional meat, and when preparing a holiday table, two or three main courses are often served.
It's all followed up with a selection of traditional sweets, Greek coffee and spirits.
Perhaps the most anticipated tradition of the New Year is the cutting the Vassilopita, New Year's bread or cake. A coin or small medallion is inserted during baking and it is said that whoever gets the piece with the coin will have an extra measure of good fortune in the coming year.
Salads, Appetizers, Dips
- Tzatziki (yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip)
- Stuffed Grape Leaves with Rice & Herbs
- Small Feta Cheese Pies
- Winter Cabbage Salad
- Greek Country Salad
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Stuffed Turkey (or Capon) with Chestnut & Raisin Stuffing
- Reddened Beef Stew
- Lamb Fricassee
- Meatless Baked Pasta
- Rice with Angel Hair Pasta
- Dilled Peas with Red & Green Peppers
- Roasted Potatoes with Garlic, Lemon, Oregano (cooked with the turkey)
Sweets, Desserts, Coffee, Spirit