Whether you run out, or just need a cup or two, making confectioner's sugar is a simple matter in the blender. This method can be used to make larger quantities, but it is a real time-saver for last-minute needs. Confectioner's sugar is also known as "powdered sugar" and "icing sugar."
- For each cup of confectioner's sugar: Add one cup of regular granulated sugar to the blender.
- Blend (pulse) until it turns to powder.
- A coffee grinder, spice grinder or small mini-processor works as well, for small amounts.
- The sugar crystals can scratch plastic, so consider carefully before making in a plastic blender or processor.
- Corn starch or other additives are used in commercial products, and if you're getting a taste that doesn't match what you need, try adding 1 to 1 1/4 tablespoons of corn starch for each cup of sugar.
- This method works best in small quantities - 1-2 cups at a time.
What You Need
- Measuring cup
- Corn starch (optional)
- Measuring spoon (optional)