1. Food

Beef Stifado: Bring on the Onions!

By February 2, 2009

Greek Stifatho - Beef & Onion StewStifado (also spelled stifatho) dishes are marked by boiler or pearl onions ... lots of onions ... often equal by weight to the main ingredient. And they're winter favorites.

Stifado dishes have been made and loved in Greece at least since the Middle Ages, when it is believed the word was first coined. They can be made with meat, poultry, seafood, game, or another vegetable as the central ingredient. The onions, wine or vinegar, tomato, and a selection of herbs and spices (often including cinnamon) create a flavorful base. Generally made on the stovetop, there are a few stifado variations that can be made in the oven.

This Beef Stifado is one of the classics, and one of the easiest to make. This is one of those recipes where you dump everything into a pot and let it cook to create its own perfection. The recipe calls for beef, boiler onions, garlic, bay leaves, fresh rosemary, tomato, and spices, and the result is delicious!

Photo ©2009 N. Gaifyllia, licensed to About.com, Inc.

Free Newsletter:
Get the Greek Food Newsletter
Have a Recipe or Cooking Question?
Try our Message Boards.

Comments

February 12, 2009 at 6:33 pm
(1) Sam Sotiropoulos says:

A Stifado after my own heart! Bravo for the simplicity of your recipe, Nancy. Yum!

February 17, 2009 at 2:59 pm
(2) Debbie says:

I made this over the week-end — wonderful!! The kitchen started smelling divine nearly as soon as I turned the heat down and covered the pot. And the meat was so tender, it fell apart when you put the fork to it. And with potatoes, a slice of feta, a good bread from the Greek bakery in Astoria, and a cold glass of Malamatina — a little bit of Greece on a cold, wintry February day in NYC — heaven!!

February 20, 2009 at 9:01 am
(3) Esia says:

I made this in the slow cooker and it was super easy and delicious. I adjusted the recipe slightly by adding half of the water and it turned out perfectly–I had it cooking 8 hours on low setting. This recipe is definitely a keeper!

February 20, 2009 at 9:22 am
(4) greekfood says:

This is one of my favorites, and I’m so glad it strikes a high note!

Sam – thanks. High praise indeed from a Greek food connoisseur.

Debbie – I know many readers envy your being able to easily find so many authentic Greek ingredients and products!

Esia – thanks so much for the slow cooker directions. I will add them as a note to the recipe page!

February 21, 2009 at 4:50 am
(5) Cheryl says:

I was catching up with my archived emails just now and in the back of my mind I was wondering what to cook tomorrow. Now, I have it. Stifado is always, always a winner. And, it’s so cold and windy it’s the perfect meal to warm us up. Love this one!!

February 21, 2009 at 11:12 am
(6) greekfood says:

Hi Cheryl – you are so right – it’s always such a good choice, *especially* in this weather!

March 3, 2009 at 5:41 pm
(7) demetria says:

How can you make this in a crock pot? Help please

March 3, 2009 at 5:45 pm
(8) greekfood says:

Hi Demetria, Check Esia’s comment above or the recipe page where I added her suggestion.